- Costs for Scholars and Interns
- Costs for Students
- Basic Requirements for Financial Documents
- Other Requirements per Type of Funding
- ISSS Fees
New F-1s and J-1s must submit evidence of financial resources to get an I-20 or DS-2019 from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). Current F-1s and J-1s may also be required to submit updated proof of financial resources as part of certain requests submitted to ISSS.
If you are applying for a U.S. visa, ISSS recommends you bring financial documents dated within the past 6 months to your visa interview.
If you are submitting an application to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS), ISSS recommends you use financial documents dated within the past 3 months for your application to USCIS.
Cost for Scholars and Interns
You are required to show sufficient funds for the entire duration of your J-1 program. While you may use personal funds or funds from friends and family as evidence, you must submit other types of funding if you’re requesting a DS-2019 longer than 6 months.
The amounts you must show are as follows:
- J-1 scholar or student intern: $2000 per month
- J-2 spouse: $550 per month
- J-2 child: $300 per month for each child
Costs for Students
F-1s: You must show at least one year’s worth of funding for the estimated cost of your program. If you have dependents, you must also show enough funding for each dependent.
J-1s: The length of your DS-2019 is based on the amount of funding you show. If a J-1 student is unable to show sufficient funding for the full-length of the program, they can show funding for their first year and then request an extension of their DS-2019 later.
Costs for F-2 and J-2 Dependents will depend on the length of time left in your program.
Basic Requirements for All Financial Documents
ISSS will accept any combination of the types of funding outlined on this webpage: Personal Funding, Third-Party Funding, Texas A&M University Funding, and/or Sponsored Funding. The submitted documents cannot contain a Social Security Number (SSN).
All documents submitted must be official/legitimate and scanned copies must be clear and legible.
- Dated within the last 6 months from the date the document is reviewed by ISSS
- Printed on official company letterhead or stationery - This requirement applies to Texas A&M University funding as well.
- Must clearly identify the document source (i.e. a monthly mailed statement, an online statement, a statement by request, etc.)
- Must be liquid assets
- Type of currency must be clearly stated
- Currency doesn’t have to be in USD
- ISSS will use the XE converter for foreign currencies
- Must contain the following information in English
- Name of the Account Holder(s)
- Current Balance (within the last 6 months) including type of currency
- Name of the Financial institution
Please be advised that if the above minimum requirements are not met, ISSS will not accept the financial document.