J-1 Students are required to get work authorization before doing ANY employment in the U.S. If you work without authorization, you will violate your status.
If your DS-2019 was issued by Fulbright or another non-TAMU sponsor, then you need to talk to your J-1 program sponsor to get work authorization. ISSS cannot authorize anything for you if we did not issue your DS-2019. Submit the On-Campus Work and SSN request in the Internships & Employment section of the ISSS Portal
- You must have active J-1 status – submit a check-in to ISSS if you haven’t yet
- You must have written permission from ISSS before you start working
- You must have an on-campus job offer
- You may only work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters
- During summer semester or other break periods you may work more than 20 hours per week
- To learn more about working during holidays/university break periods click on the following link.
- You must continue to maintain your J-1 status (including full-time enrollment)
- You will also need to apply for a Social Security Number to work in the U.S. if you don’t have one already
If you need to work off-campus at any point, you will need to request Academic Training
Additional Requirement for Iranian Students:
Your employer needs to file a Supplemental Work Authorization Form
for Iranian Students. This form is completed by the department seeking to hire the student, not ISSS. If departments require ISSS to sign off on this form, the student should submit a copy of the form through the General ISSS Request
in the General Student Services section of the ISSS Portal