General Travel Issues
If you get stuck at the port of entry and need assistance from ISSS, you can contact the office emergency line at anytime at 979-845-1824 and press 2.
If you run into repeated delays or problems with re-entering the U.S., you can try submitting an inquiry through the Department of Homeland Security Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP).
Issues that can be addressed by DHS Trip include, but are not limited to:
- watch list issues
- screening problems at ports of entry
- situations where travelers believe they have been unfairly or incorrectly delayed, denied boarding or identified for additional screening at U.S. transportation hubs
You should check your I-94 every time you enter the U.S. You can check it online on the I-94 Website
. I-94s should show the following for F-1 or J-1 travelers:
- Class of Admission: F-1 or J-1
- Admit Until Date: D/S
If you have the wrong class of admission or your admit until date shows a specific date, then you need to get your I-94 corrected by contacting U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). They can also assist with any other problems with your I-94 and travel history record.
- You can submit an online request to CBP to correct an I-94
- If you cannot resolve this online, then you’ll need to contact CBP's Deferred Inspections Office, which is a unit within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- The local Deferred Inspection office for Bryan/College Station is in Houston:
- Houston Deferred Inspection Location
- Address: 19581 Lee Road, Humble, TX 77338
- Phone: 281-443-4350 extension 221 OR 281-230-4600 extension 1
- Fax: 281-443-0241
If you call CBP Deferred Inspection, have your immigration documents ready for identification purposes. If the issue can’t be resolved on the phone, CBP may require you to appear in person.